Thursday, January 10, 2013

Memories from the Wind Fish

Spoilers for The legend of Zelda Link's awakening from here on.
The first Zelda game I played was Link's awakening, which was an unusual first, most people start with the original or Link to the Past; but even though I had an unusual start into the series, I still loved that game. As I played I saw in some old ruins that you had to go to to search for clues or a key or something, you discovered a stone relief on the wall describing the island as the dream of the windfish, a legendary creature that was said to sleep in a giant egg upon a mountain in the back of the island. Being young, I took the message as being true(and it was) with no doubt toward its authenticity. That was a grim and sad thing for a boy to think of. I was fond of that little world, and thought it an ill thing for it to be a dream, something that will shatter when the sleeper wakes. Eventually I did make my way to the final boss, and defeated the final nightmare keeping the windfish asleep. Soon the instruments that I gathered to wake the wind fish, the sleeper that dreamed the island, started to play and the island began to fade. Moments before the last nightmare pleaded for me to stop, but I continued on regardless, and saw that island disappear piece by piece. People I had met, monsters I had fought, disappearing from existence.
What a melancholic feeling struck me, it still grips me today when I recall the game. Was that really right, to shatter a dream world, filled with people and things, and was there anything other possibility for such a situation? Being a game of finite scope there wasn't any other way possible; however even though such a possibility was absent I thought about what could be done had I the ability to do so. Any such speculation was pure conjecture, but it was conjecture that I still thought about none the less; however I realized that such a bizarre situation would require a bizarre solution:some sort of magic to incarnate the memory of that dream which faded away, something that would take a deity's level of power. However, again this is idle speculation; thinking about how to in a fictional world how to save a fictional town that ceased to be. I don't think of it as a waste, though, as it would be sad to not feel about such a thing. Even the simplest story should be able touch us in some way, and a game shouldn't be any different. If anything we should be more assuredly attached to games as we spend so much time with the game, as if it were another person; it's only natural that we'd get attached to them; and to see them end or take a tragic turn should fill us with sorrow. The more time we spend with people or things, the more emotion we tend to invest into them. So I feel guilty and sad about that island, even if it was only an illusion twice removed from reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment